Friday, October 4, 2013

30 Day Challenge - Day 4

 
Day 4 - Favorite book of your favorite series.


Well, I guess I screwed the pooch yesterday. *LOL* I hadn't re-read the whole list for the month, so had no idea that this would be the next subject on the list. :) Anyhoooo....

My favourite series is the Deryni series which is made up of various trilogies in the same universe, but set different eras. The 'present' era of King Kelson (The Deryni Chronicles, The Histories of King Kelson), the 'long ago' era of Camber (The Legends of Camber of Culdi, The Heirs of Saint Camber) and the near past of The Childe Morgan.

Out of all these, my favourite volume is what is probably the darkest of all Katherine's works, The Harrowing of Gwynedd, book 1 of The Heirs of Saint Camber.. In retrospect, it's the book in which Katherine gets her George R.R. Martin on. The kingdom is in bloody turmoil and the Deryni people are being persecuted, hunted down, proscribed, executed - it's all gone to hell in a handbasket pretty much. I can't tell you how many times my heart gets broken during this book. Weep? Oh, you betcha!

I don't quite know why I'm drawn to this book so strongly. I think it is one of Katherine's best works, but more than that, I think it's that even when things are so horribly dark, so frighteningly bad, there are moments that are uplifting, hope-giving, even happy. :) Not a lot of them, but they are there. And for someone like me who always looks for the silver lining, that's all I need, even when the final chapter is making sob out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment