Monday, August 3, 2015

Soulless by Gail Carriger

4 STARS

The Parasol Protectorate - Book 1

I've had the Parasol Protectorate series of books recommended to me by more than a few people. I was worried because it's not unknown for me to go off of something just because everyone else thinks it's grand.

Not the case here!

What a FUN romp! I love the premise, I love the characters and I adore the dialogue between those characters. The romance is quite lovely - amusing and hot and fun all at once. It totally worked for me.

The one thing that didn't so much were a few dialoguish anachronisms. I don't know if English Victorians said "Great!", for instance. The American might, but it wasn't him that said it. There were another couple of turns of phrase like that which struck my wrong on my 'reading ear'.

My favourite character did not die, neither did my other favourite character and if I may, Lord Akeldama's troupe of 'drones' have totally charmed me!

I'm so glad that I splurged and bought the boxed set! I'm looking forward to my next read with my Victorian AU friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment