Saturday, March 23, 2013

Beyond Shame by Kit Rocha

4 STARS

Beyond - Book 1

THIS is the book that the moronic 50 Shades of Grey could have been in the hands of someone who could a) write and b) knew what they were talking about.

This book, this series of books, reminds me of the TV show Sons of Anarchy. The men are tough, violent and sexy and the women are hot, sexy, violent too, and have found a way to be powerful themselves in a world geared to respect only brute strength, it seems. It's not lost on me that many of the key jobs of the gang are taken care of by women. 

I wasn't totally enamoured of Noelle, the female protagonist. I found her too clueless even given her background. She grated on me, but I wonder if that's a function of me being a 'woman of a certain age'? 

HOWEVER, she was far more likable than that crazy girl who kept talking to an inner goddess every time she got horny. At least she redeemed herself some in the last couple of chapters of the book. 

Anyway, a dystopian tale of hot sex and violence and people damaged in so many different ways. The supporting cast was stellar and I am totally in love with the smart-ass tattoo artist, Ace. :) I really, really enjoyed it - so much that I went directly to my computer and bought the second book in the series which just was published a couple of weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment