Thursday, October 10, 2013

30 Day Challenge - Day 10

Day 10 - Favorite classic book.

I read The Three Musketeers for the first time when I was a teenager, many years ago. Many, many. :) My parents had a collection of "The Works of Alexandre Dumas" all leather bound with thin onion skin-like pages and one summer day, with a lack of new books to read, I decided that it was time for me to read the first volume. I was in love after the first chapter. :) Yes, it took a wee bit of time to get used to this different style of writing, it was published in the mid-1800s, after all, but once I found the rhythm, I really couldn't put it down. I remember laying on my bed up in my room and actually reading paragraphs out loud, just to see how they sounded.

Dumas was a popular writer in his day, a mix of Nora Roberts and Tom Clancy, and this book has everything, romance, intrigue, adventure, tragedy, comedy. Once finished, I went on to read others in the series... and yes, it's a series. *LOL* Then The Count of Monte Cristo. What reading The Three Musketeers did for me was show me that reading the classics could be as enjoyable as reading contemporary works, and with that, reading Dickens, for instance, the following school year was nowhere near as intimidating as it might have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment