Thursday, February 12, 2015

Acrobat by Mary Calmes

3.5 STARS

What a really nice read! And while I realise that sounds like damning with faint praise, it's not. Sometimes you just need a nice, calm, fun, happy love story with likable characters, a plot that doesn't take a PHD to follow and some steamy sex.

If I'm honest, I have to say that Nate was really too good to be true. I don't think anyone is that perfect, but he wasn't obnoxiously so, so I enjoyed the story told from his 1st person point of view for the most part. There is a point in the book where Nate realises what was really behind his break-up with his ex and what is really his only acknowledged fault, but by that point, I couldn't really see it as a fault. I mean, come on, Nate is everyone's perfect, friend, lover, ex-husband, dad, professor, mentor, party organiser it's no wonder that everyone adores him. (Except maybe his own father... I wasn't quite clear on that relationship.)

Then there's Dreo, the hot, sexy, much younger than Nate (he's 27? 28? to Nate's 45) mob bodyguard who's doing his best to make a life for his orphaned nephew, Michael. They live across the hall from Nate and it's through Michael that they know each other. Dreo's been very patient, waiting for Nate to 'notice' him. But when he does... WOWSA! Hot stuff.

I must say that Nate has a propensity to check out every man he meets, mentally commenting on their looks (none really have a lack of, BTW) and especially their eyes. Eyes are big thing with Nate. Even the women get the eye mention.

Something I really enjoyed was the author's way with dialogue/banter. It made me grin on numerous occasions, especially when Nate was interacting with the teenage Michael. I think there may have been more than a few scenes early in the book that could have been cut because they really didn't shed any new lights on the main characters or advance the plot, but they were fun to read so I can't complain too much.

So this was indeed a nice, easy read, with nice people, a bit of a fun/action plot, and some nice, steamy sex scenes. I liked it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment