Sunday, February 8, 2015

The Hell You Say by Josh Lanyon

4 STARS

Adrien English Mysteries - Book 3

This is the third book in the Adrien English series and I enjoyed it as much as the first two. The mystery was sufficiently mysterious and puzzling, the characters were very good - and bad, and the sexytimes were interesting, integral to the over arcing story of Adrien's life.

I really enjoy Adrien's voice. There's a bit of sarcasm and cynicism there, as well as humour and warmth. And he has a lovely sense of the ridiculous. He's smart - too smart for his own good, probably, but it's a mystery series so he sort of has to be. :) He has a blind spot... well, okay.. maybe not an actual blind spot, but a weakness for the police detective Jake the Jerk who, as far as I'm concerned is the biggest tool in the shed.

So in this mystery, we have satanism, demons, pentacles, Wiccans, possible human sacrifices and all that these entail. We have blind alleys and red herrings that work quite well, in my opinion. I wasn't certain who the good guys were until quite near the end. I know what I WANTED to believe, but couldn't quite bring myself to. It did kind of feel like the wrap-up was a bit rushed, but that might be my own penchant for details. Every day details.

The subplot of Adrien's mother's engagement was fun and added to the mystery when it needed to. I enjoyed the new characters and am looking forward to seeing more of them in the next book. Yes, this is a series that I will definitely be continuing and recommending to those that enjoy a good mystery with a dash of sexy romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment