Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Knight's Shadow by Sebastien de Castell

4.5 STARS

The Greatcoats - Book 2

Knight's Shadow continues the epic wonderfulness of volume 1 of the Greatcoats series. A little darker, a little more thoughtful, it's still a terrific swash-buckling adventure filled with all kinds of emotions, including the good ones. While there might be a less humour and and light-heartedness, it still contains all the delicious stuff that made me fall in love with Falcio, Kest and Brasti.

In this volume, the women really come into their own. Valiana and Dari and Elithea show some great development alongside the Trio of Greatcoats. I was pleased at the twists and turns of their stories and even shed a tear or two for them in some places. :)

One scene actually made me put down the book - well, the ereader - and grab my kleenex for a bit of a sob. I call it the Spartacus scene and MAN, did it get me.

I don't know what's left for the author to put these characters through, let me tell you, but I'm sure he's got something dastardly wicked up his sleeve. I can't wait! Seriously, if you're a fan of Alexandre Dumas' Musketeers or Stephen Brust's Phoenix Guards, you'll love this series. It definitely holds its own in this august company.

No comments:

Post a Comment