Saturday, September 10, 2016

Map of Bones by James Rollins

3 STARS

Sigma Force - Book 2

Map of Bones wasn't bad. I had been hoping for more of an early Tom Clancy type of read, but this was a little thin on most counts.

There was a lot of exposition, feeling as if one character telling the others the whole history of the world at times. It certainly shows off that the author did a lot of research. I found it all a bit complicated and more than once it felt like a bit of a slog to get through things and get down to the action.

The characters were okay - generic techno-thriller types with an interesting quirk or two that I thought could have been explored a little more. There was a bit of a romance as there often is in this type of book, but it never hooked me. I actually wanted to know more about what was going on with a couple of the secondary characters more than the main couple.

There were some interesting twists and turns and one HELLUVA twist that managed to catch me completely by surprise. I wanted more about the motivations though.

All in all, this was a pleasant read and should the others in the series (yes, this is apparently the second of the Sigma Force books even though Kobo says it's the 1st.), go on sale for a reasonable price, I'll pick them up. I wonder if they'll deal with the same characters at all? Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment